Restoring /etc

I screwed up my /etc directory bigtime.  I wanted to put it under CVS to
maintain a history, but didn't realize that CVS does not honor symbolic
links.  Of course, I didn't backup before rm -rf /etc; cvs co etc.  Doh!

I have another Debian stable box and I tried recreating the rc.? and
alternatives directories based on this working box, but when I rebooted,
the network interface didn't come up.  So I missed something.

Is there some clever way I can recreate the /etc dir?  (A dpkg-reconfigure
trick?)  Or can I just copy the symbolic links from the working box over
to the non-working box?

Regards,

Mark
 who has a habit of learning things the hard way ...