Re: hardware/optimizations for a download-webserver

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 10:39, Michelle Konzack <linux4michelle@freenet.de> wrote:
> >Other people get >10MB/s.  I've benchmarked some of my machines at 9MB/s.
>
> I do not belive it !

http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/9704.1/0257.html

See the above message from  David S. Miller <davem@jenolan.rutgers.edu> posted
in 1997.  At the time Dave used that as his standard .sig because it was
really ground-breaking performance from Linux of >11MB/s TCP!

When I did tests I never got 11MB/s on my machines, that is because my
hardware was probably not as good, and because I used real-world applications
such as FTP rather than TCP benchmarks.

100/8 == 12.5.  The wire is capable of 12.5MB/s, having a protocol do 11.26
isn't so strange.