mysql dynamic cleint libary on debian

I have two computers, one is Suse, the other is debian.
I want now dynamic cleint libary and header files of mysql 4.0 for my work.
On Suse Computer it is easy. I download under
Linux x86 RPM downloads-->Dynamic client libraries (including 3.23.x libraries).
But on debian Computer I have "Alien" tried. "Alien" show me a error.
I have compiled with
./configure
make
make install

Mysql works. But this client library is not there.
What can i do?

Yongcheng Chen