Re: sparc64 bridging

On Sun, 2004-05-02 at 02:55, Axel Scheepers wrote:
> Thanks for the pointers, I've just installed the bridge-utils-64 package and
> I'm able to get somewhat further. But some funny things are happening;
>
> plog0:/home/axel# brctl addbr br0
> plog0:/home/axel# brctl addif br0 eth0
> bridge br0 doesn't exist!
> plog0:/home/axel# brctl show
> bridge name     bridge id               STP enabled     interfaces
> plog0:/home/axel# brctl addbr br0
> device br0 already exists; can't create bridge with the same name
> plog0:/home/axel# brctl delbr br0
> plog0:/home/axel#
>
> Kind of 'it doesn't exist! -It does! it doesn't!' ;-)
> (I guess this means compiling it myself with -g and do some debugging)
>
> The machine in question is a netra x1. It has no floppy/cdrom so I have to
> netboot it to install, with FreeBSD 5.2.1 I get a 'Fast Data MMU miss' every
> time the loader tries to reallocate the kernel. I've already posted this to
> relevant lists. We've got about 6 of these, all with 1gb mem, in our
> basement doing nothing, I figured they'd do nice as a pop/mailhub cluster
> (the remaining 5) and for firewalling (this one).
> I've also tried OpenBSD, which in fact runs pretty fine on them. We do have
> some enterprise 450 machines also which I can probably get my hands on (4way
> smp las time I checked :-) OpenBSD doesn't have decent smp support, and my
> experiences with NetBSD is somewhat dissapointing under heavy loads. So
> that's why I'm trying debian now. (I really like the way things are handled
> compared to the other distros available)
> I don't like keeping a mix of more then 4 operating systems at our site, in
> fact, I'm trying to bring it all down a bit to ease configuration and
> migration.
> We don't have that many people who can manage solaris decently (only 2) so
> I'd be giving myself some extra work if we keep using that.. ;-)

You're in the same situation I am. Most people here CAN manage solaris,
but with the ridiculous install time, patching time, and buggy
utilities(awk, sed, tar), it's nice to have something that works.

I revised my initial reply to the link above, which I found using
google. I was originially going to state that I simply don't think linux
or *bsd supports bridging on the sparc64 arch yet. I don't really know
why, but I think it has more to do with 64 bit vs 32 bit. This is
probably what I should revert back to, I just don't think it's working
yet. Sun is famous for their screwed up hardware, though they are more
famous for their buggy CPUs/Memory, which they claim are transient
errors that a reboot will fix.

Personally, I've tried it quite few times, and haven't been able to get
it to work, but I've only tried on Netra t105s and quad hme cards.