Re: bandwidth [SCANNED]

> On 4/12/04 3:20 PM, "Christofer Algotsson" wrote:
>
>> You need at least 256kbps per client (wich is a very low these days).
>>
>>> As it's a home building I suppose most of the traffic is web browsing
>>> and email checking and most of the activity is at evening/night, when
>>> usually I note throtting on my downloads.
>
> Didn't catch where you are but bandwidth in the way of a T-1 or a couple
> of
> t-1's can be had for close to $1000 a month, divide that by 96 dwellers
> and
> you are at $10-20 a month. You can place a debian ran firewall, filter
> mail
> and manage mail all in one box, as well as possibly throttle in/out
> traffic
> and maybe even offer filtered content from the web.
hell you could split it up into 3 - 4 boxes.

2 routers (not so much routers but used to throutle it.)
1 Mail Box (maybe a backup) use
postfix,amavisd-ew,sa(razor,dcc),clamav,squirrellmail courier-imap/pop.
and then maybe a web box to do personal web hosting for the residents. or
put that on the same box as the mail stuff. just depending on how many per
house. i could even help you do the filter/throtle stuff. i got some good
scripts for it. and how to limit certain ppl to so much bw and such.

--jeremy