using hp proliant ml 330

I recently received a hp proliant ml 330 which I installed redhat and then
debian linux on it.
I requires the megaide modules to see the raid disks correctly.
They can be compiled from source, from this location.(see below.)

I could not determine how to compile them statically into the kernel,
or create driver disks for a bf24 install.

So I had to intall redhat linux and then debootstrap into a debian
install, after I had recompiled the kernel and loaded the driver module
via initrd.

directions:

install redhat linux
boot machine
install debootstrap
install debian
download megaide kernel
http://www.stevehardy.info/
http://support.megaraid.com/support/dlresult.cfm
download 2.4.25 kernel
copy extra megaide directory to
/usr/src/linux/drivers/scsi
so it's a subdirectory of scsi.
edit makefile to include megaide section
config kernel,
make megaide include and cramfs,initrd ext3 scsis support.
compile megaide kernel
make dep bzImage megaide modules modules_install
install kernel
boot debian install.
configure debian

--
--Luke CS Sysadmin, Montana State University-Bozeman