Re: Fun with routes

On Wednesday 17 March 2004 07:24, aCaB wrote:
> I was trying to figure out a cheap solution to increase upload speed for
> one of my customers (currently using ADSL).
>
> I soon realized that dedicated lines such as CDN, HDSL etc are too
> expensive in respect to common ADSL and come up with a brain-dead idea
> of bounding various ADSL lines together...
>
> Let's say I have ISP-A and ISP-B providing me 2 lines with static
> addresses IP-A and IP-B; both ISP's allows source address spoofing.
> For simplicity let's also say I will only accept incoming connections on
> IP-A, but, to increase upload speed, I want reply packets to come out
> both from ISP-A (with no modifications) AND ISP-B (with source address
> spoofing).
>
> I'm quite sure this can be done, but I'm not sure if iproute2 would do
> this.

I've set up lots of multiple connection gateways but outbound load balancing
wasn't a concern (only inbound).  Still, I'm pretty sure that iproute2 is the
correct tool and that this is pretty trivial to setup.

Forget ip spoofing, just set things up so that traffic alternates which
connection it goes out.  Look at load balancing in the LARTC
(http://lartc.org/howto/lartc.rpdb.multiple-links.html).  If you truly want
double the bandwidth you won't get it but if you just want to share the load
across multiple connections then this is the answer.

--
Fraser Campbell <fraser@wehave.net>                 http://www.wehave.net/