Re: Fun with routes

Thanks you all for your quick replies.

The situation in the place I live is gonna look quite weird to you folk.

Here are NO small ISP's and only a few major telco's are
offering ADSL. Moreover none of them can be bothered setting up
specially crafted connections or routing disciplines; they do plug in
their pre-configured c*sco's and sell their fixed ADSL packages. Period.

If you want something more you have to choose CDN or fibre.
That said, I repeat: I'm not willing to set-up a real life environment
Featuring ADSL bonding via IP spoofing, I was just willing to satisfy my
curiosity: is that possible? And if so can it be achieved?

Does this sound strange?

First off, ISP-B should be dropping your spoofed packets on the floor once they hit their network.
I'm a strange guy, I know, but I totally disagree. IMHO An ISP should
provide a customer with the internet. That's it.

An ISP should not (unless asked to) mangle/NAT packets, stop pings,
block backdoor scans, scan mails for viruses or do any activity limiting
somehow their users freedom over the net. They can and should of
cause identify and fight troublemakers through the customers.

We could discuss a lot about what an ISP should and should not, but I
don't feel this is the proper time for such a discussion.

Load balancing the two will become a problem... how does your computer decide which path to send on? Aside from a few specific cases (like equal-cost load balancing) your routing protocol/procedure/program should make the same decision every time for where a packet should be routed.
Ok you got the point. This is exactly what i was asking. From my point of view even a quite rudimental approach as route each packet through a different interfcae/isp would be enough. Even a random mechanism would be ok.

A much easier way to do this, using existing proven technology would be MLPPP to one provider (assuming that your provider supports MLPPP and that you can get client hardware to do so as well). Some careful routing with two separate DSL connections to the same provider will work as well.

A part that no one here is offering MLPPP or _even_ two adsl (dont ask me why, but i guess this is done to sell dedicated lines instead), that is no fun, which is somewhat in contrast with the subject of my mail.

Thanks again for your time!