Re: Need help understand the development env (gcc, binutils etc)

On Wednesday 10 March 2004 03:20, Sarwat H wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm fairly new to Debian and I'm trying to put together a list of
> packages I need for a web+mail+dns server. I don't want X or any other
> useless stuff on it (from a server's perspective), however, I do want to
> be able to compile software and rebuild kernel if needed. I'm thinking
> about installing the base OS and then adding the required packages
> manually (e.g. apache, postfix, bind, MySQL, Perl etc)
>
> My questions are:
>
> 1. what packages do I need for a complete C development env ? and what
> does it include ?

The easy way is running tasksel and selecting "C and C++" under
"Development".

> 2. When I download and install a package with apt-get install, is there a
> way to find out what other packages/dependecies will be installed along
> with the main package ?

Apt does this pr. default. Here is an example:

# apt-get install mysql-server
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
  libdbd-mysql-perl libdbi-perl libmysqlclient10 libmysqlclient12
mysql-client
  mysql-common
Suggested packages:
  mysql-doc
  libdbd-mysql-perl libdbi-perl libmysqlclient10 libmysqlclient12
mysql-client
  mysql-common mysql-server
0 upgraded, 7 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 5059kB of archives.
After unpacking 12.4MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]

So you see, it shows every package that is going to be installed and it
shows that the mysql-doc package is sugested to. You might want that one
to :)

> Thx for the help.

Your welcome

--