Need help understand the development env (gcc, binutils etc)

Hi,

I'm fairly new to Debian and I'm trying to put together a list of packages I need for a web+mail+dns server. I don't want X or any other useless stuff on it (from a server's perspective), however, I do want to be able to compile software and rebuild kernel if needed. I'm thinking about installing the base OS and then adding the required packages manually (e.g. apache, postfix, bind, MySQL, Perl etc)

My questions are:

1. what packages do I need for a complete C development env ? and what does it include ?

2. When I download and install a package with apt-get install, is there a way to find out what other packages/dependecies will be installed along with the main package ?

Thx for the help.

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.