shell access exploits (was Re: upgrading to MySQL 4 on woody)

> I have at most a week from a known kernel exploit to when one of my users
> tries to exploit via shell access.

One of my hats is a junior sys admin in an academic environment. I'm
curious as to how you know when shell users are trying to exploit a kernel
hole.

In another non academic environment and based on info from this list, I've
been running snoopy with an eye to grepping the logs for naughiness....

#########