Re: Considering Debian (currently using Red Hat)

This one time, at band camp, Lucas Albers said:
> I have recently started the process of switching my computers from redhat
> to debian.
> I would very much appreciate step by step directions for creating a local
> repository for redistribution of kernel packages and locally built
> packages.

Just pick a directory that you want to put your local debian packages
in, and run dpkg-scanpackages on it.  It will create a Packages file,
which you then need to gzip.

This is my rugh script that updates my directories whenever I add a new
package - it does both source and binary, which may be more than you
want.  It also does seperate stable/unstable trees.  Feel free to redo
as you need.

#!/bin/sh

# make_apt, v 0.1
# Make apt-gettable source lines in my debian subdirectory.

echo $0

DIR=/home/steve/public_html/debian/

cd $DIR

for dist in woody sid; do
  rm dists/$dist/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz
  dpkg-scanpackages pool/$dist/main/ indices/override.$dist.main > \
        dists/$dist/main/binary-i386/Packages
  gzip -9 dists/$dist/main/binary-i386/Packages
  rm dists/$dist/main/source/Sources.gz
  dpkg-scansources pool/$dist/main > dists/$dist/main/source/Sources
  gzip -9 dists/$dist/main/source/Sources
done

override.$dist.main looks something like this:
qvcd              optional    utils
cosmos            optional    x11

and the sources.list entries corresponding to this setup are:

Stable sources.list lines:
deb http://www.lobefin.net/~steve/debian woody main
deb-src http://www.lobefin.net/~steve/debian woody main

Unstable sources.list lines:
deb http://www.lobefin.net/~steve/debian sid main
deb-src http://www.lobefin.net/~steve/debian sid main

Remember to let your web or ftp server know to serve the correct
directory, or none of this will be much use.

> I ran across basic directions on setting up mirror, but nothing about
> debianizing a package; if you just want it for a local package.
> eg, you don't need the full steps, just enough to convert a tar.gz file to
> a .deb file.

http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/ has a pretty good starting
reference for this.

> I run the 2.4.23+ kernels on my servers as it supports the newest
> hardware. I don't run stable because they don't have drivers for my newer
> network card. I also recompile my kernel with grsecurity security patches.
> I am currently only running 4 debian boxes, but I have yet to encounter a
> single kernel crash.

Using make-kpkg is a good way to build a kernel-image .deb that you can
then put in your mirror for redistribution.  man make-kpkg for details -
it's really pretty straightforward.

|   ,''`.					     Stephen Gran |
|  : :' :					 sgran@debian.org |
|  `. `'			Debian user, admin, and developer |
|    `-					    http://www.debian.org |