Re: Configuring firewall

Greets,

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004, Chakravarthy Cuddapah wrote:
> I am new to debian. I was using RHL before. It was easy setting up
> firewall there (/etc/sysconfig/iptables). Could not do the same here. Can
> anyone please tell me how to do this in debian. I just want to keep open
> ports 53 and 22.
iptables is the same on rhl & debian.
The debian part is all about:
you setup the firewall,
and if you have finished, you save your settings with iptables-save to
/var/lib/iptables/active. After that, you clean your firewall, flush all
chains, and erase all chains that aren't mandatory. (iptables -F ;
iptables -X) After cleaning, you save this also as
/var/lib/iptables/inactive.

The default debian installation doesn't link /etc/init.d/iptables to the
runlevels, so you have to make an S99iptables symlink in rc2.d pointing
to /etc/init.d/iptables and the corresponding K01iptables in rc{0,6}.d
directories.

My /etc/default/iptables looks like:

iptables_command=iptables
enable_autosave=true
enable_save_counters=true

If these are done, reboot the machine, and you'll see that all your
rules get up after a successful boot.

Best regards,

--
SZALAY Attila / mrwas at cdata.hu / (20) 416 13 78