ftp server

Hi,

I'm hoping someone on this list can help me with an FTP server issue.

I'm running a handful of Internet services on my ADSL line - DNS, Web, e-Mail, and FTP servers.
All seem to be running fine, very fast as well, but the FTP server is very slow, e.g. first logging on is quite slow, and with every request to change directories takes unusually long.

Also, the problem seems to occur only from the Internet, i.e. from outside my firewall - a Linksys Gateway/Router with Firewall.

Is this an FTP server issue ( should I change my FTP server - WU-FTPD )?  If not server specific, maybe in the configuration?  Or more to do with my firewall settings?
I suspect I may need to move the machine to the DMZ port, but before I do I was hoping somebody may have a better solution ( I don't know for sure if the DMZ will solve the problem, and I'd rather not use the DMZ ).

Thank you very much in advance for your help!
Robert