Re: Loaded server or syn-flood?

On Wed, 2004-01-14 at 23:50, Christofer Algotsson wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Recently, my kernel started print messages like
>
> TCP: drop open request from [ip-number]/44669
> TCP: drop open request from [ip-number]/44750
> TCP: drop open request from [ip-number]/44668
> TCP: drop open request from [ip-number]/44749
> TCP: drop open request from [ip-number]/44748
> TCP: drop open request from [ip-number]/44667
> NET: 120 messages suppressed.

I'm afraid we need morei info. What is the time interval between the
messages, how long did it last? Were the IP numbers all different or
not? Do you monitor load and sysstat on your server? If yes, what does
it say?

> I did a short investigation and found out that
> the server's either been syn-flooded or that
> it basicaly ran out of resources ...

Yes, that's right, these are the two possibilities.

> The machine acts web-server (apache) and serves
> about 3,500,000 requests / week.

Again, do you monitor load, sysstat (memory usage), sar/vmstat (disk
activity)?

The number doesn't say much, boils down to 5 req/s average, you need to
know the tops.

> It's equipped with two p3-600mhz cpu's and 1gb ram.
> Vanilla kernel 2.4.21 and debian unstable.

Definitiley upgrade the kernel do 2.4.24, there are several security
issues in .21

> As this problem seems kind of unresolved it's
> hard to fix it by bumping up buffers or so.
>
> What's your experience?

Our production kernels are compiled with TCP SYN Cookie support, so the
servers can survive a SYN flood as long as it doesn't max out the
connection. Apart form that, tight monitoring of resource usage is
necessary, to ensure the system can physically cope with the load.

Best of luck and send more info if you seek a better advice.

--
Jan Kokoska