Re: Debian on a Dell-Server???

On Fri, Jan 02, 2004 at 07:36:44PM +0100, Daniel Holze wrote:

>   Anyone know, if i can Debian on an Dell-Server?
>   Dell says olny RedHat9 :-/

  I have several big Dell boxes which came pre-installed with RedHat
 and were immediately wiped and replaced with Debian.

  (I can find a list of model numbers when I'm back in the office next
 week if that's useful)

  But to be honest if the hardware is supported under RedHat that
 demonstrates that the Kernel can recognise the hardware, unless
 there are extra drivers with RedHat.   If the hardware is recognised
 (RAID controllers, SCSI tape devices, etc) you should be able to switch
 from one distribution to another pretty much without effort.

  (Assuming they run comparible numbered kernels).

Steve