Re: Best way to update perl on Woody Stable ?

> 3. (if you have a lot of time on your hands)
>
>    download the debianised source for perl 5.8 from "unstable" and
>    recompile it on your woody system. do the same for any module
>    packages that you need. i.e. backport the new perl to the old debian.
>
>    a lot of people recommend this method. personally, i find it to be
>    far too time consuming, for very little benefit. far easier (and much
>    better tested) to just run unstable.

FWIW, this is the method I generally use and don't find it to be that hard.
On the other hand, I recently tried this with perl 5.8.x from unstable
(probably about two weeks ago) and it would not build under woody - it kept
failing one of its test cases and bombing out.

I'd say about 50-75% of packages backport easily.  The rest can be more
involved.  In the case of perl two weeks ago, I didn't absolutely need it
so I ended up sticking with the woody version.  I did look at the backports
collections and did not see a backport around anywhere.

Take care,
     Dale
--
Dale E. Martin, Clifton Labs, Inc.