2 hba's accessing same disk

I curently have 2 hba's connected on a san and want to implement
failover.  When you first install them you see twice as many disks since
there are 2 paths.  My question is can you use the md/multipath module
to get failover?
If so can you do it without using software raid?  The aray is already
using hardware raid level 5 so there is no need for sofware raid.  So
far I have created the devices but they will not failover.  I am having
a hard time finding documentation on this particular module.  Any help
would be appreciated.