Re: sane trouble-ticket systems

On Thursday 10 July 2003 03:20, Noah L. Meyerhans wrote:
> Hi all.  I'm searching for a trouble-ticket system that doesn't suck.

One of the projects on my (infinitely long)
I'll-do-one-of-those-when-I-get-time projects list. I thought rt was one of
the best out there, but I know exactly what you mean. I really don't like
bugzilla, dcl didn't really make me feel comfortable (too complex). So I
guess I can't help you really.

[...]
> to put a ticket number in the mail subject).  Even in cases where the
> end-user's MUA doesn't support the In-Reply-To header, mutt can still
> make intelligent decisions based on the message subject.

Forget matching by subject. ticket # in the Subject is about the only thing
that works. If you have only very few users, matching by subject (when
there's no I-R-T or References header, of course) may work - but even then,
your typical problem will affect multiple users, and the chance of multiple
users reporting the same problem with the same subject line is not all that
small. I have been thinking about matching by subject *and* body (recognize
'Original message' lines and > quoting, try to match this to previous
messages), but I guess it would be really hard to do.

greetings
-- vbi

--
Available for key signing in Zürich and Basel, Switzerland
                     (what's this? Look at http://fortytwo.ch/gpg/intro)