radiusd-freeradius

Can anyone briefly summarize the current state of the radiusd-freeradius
packages?  From what I can tell, the packages were withdrawn for
some combination of immaturity/stability/maintainer interest, but there
was also an issue with the rlm_pgsql module linking with SSL - was that
ever resolved?

I'm probably interested in reviving radiusd-freeradius if I'm not
stepping on anyone's toes.

Or have folks switched to other RADIUS servers?  Is there anything else
that authenticates from and logs to MySQL/PgSQL databases?  using the
same schema or a different schema?

--
_ivan