Re: Bandwidth monitoring .. hints/tips & which tool?

On Mon, May 19, 2003 at 08:18:42PM +0000, Jonathan Matthews wrote:
> Hi all -

> level?]
>
> Just wondered if anyone could point me in the right direction so that I
> can build a positive image of Debian within the organisation I work for.
> The company's nothing exciting - we make cookers :-)
>
> The IT guy there would like to be able to see who's using our intra-site
> bandwidth up, and on what task.  Traffic breakdown by time, user (hence
> IP, I suppose) and port would be my best guess.
>
> All traffic goes through an MS proxy server at this site (and
> traffic going that way is all we're concerned about at this juncture)
> and then through a Cisco router on the way to the remote site.
>
> He'd like a solution that involves installing a piece of software on his
> local PC and nothing else, but I'm not so easily satisfied.  I want to
> (and I think I can convince him to let me) install a low-end box between
> either the network and the proxy, the proxy and the router, or the
> router and the remote site.  I'd like to get a Debian box in there, and
> I'd appreciate some help with what I should be looking to put it on
> there.
>
> I've been looking at MRTG, but can't see (remembering that I'm not in a
> position to try stuff out at work to see if it works :-|) a way to break
> the reports down by source/destination IP address.  Am I missing
> something?
>
> If not, and MRTG just isn't the tool for this job, then what is?
>
> I'm not averse to a bit of perl/whatever hacking, but would like to use
> an existing tool if it's out there!
>
> Any ideas?  On-list, please.
>
> Thanks!
>   jc

Both ntop <http://www.ntop.org/ntop.html>
and iptraf <http://iptraf.seul.org/> should do this.
iptraf is lighter on resources, and offer realtime monitoring,
ntop is accessed trough an browser, and offers extensive graphs of
traffic.
It all depends on how low-end this box is.

--
Frode Haugsgjerd
Norway