Re: Which webmail do you prefer? Why?

On Tue, May 06, 2003 at 11:13:05AM -0700, Jeremy Zawodny wrote:
> On Tue, May 06, 2003 at 02:23:58PM +0100, Matthew King wrote:
> > SquirrelMail. Webmail for nuts. Sounds weird, but it rocks.
> >
> > It's in PHP (I'd personally prefer perl) but it still works.
>
> Why does the implementation language matter?  Do you care if your
> system binaries are written in C vs C++?
>
> I always wonder what people really mean when they say things like
> that--especially in this sort of context.  Can you clarify why it
> matters?  Are you trying to imply that PHP software is less likely to
> work?

I'm not the OP, but I'm guessing he's referring to the fact that it's
far more likely that you're going to tweak a web-app than some "system
binary".  Therefore, implementation does matter.

Also, many people are already running mod_perl; it's nicer to
leverage that than to configure additional modules.  In my expereince,
mod_perl + apache interaction is more stable than PHP + apache,
especially across upgrades.

  prepBut nI vrbLike adjHungarian! qWhat's artThe adjBig nProblem?
          -- alec flett @netscape