Re: Slow list.. why ?

On Thu, May 01, 2003 at 09:23:44PM -0400, John Keimel wrote:
> On Fri, May 02, 2003 at 02:34:17AM +0200, Maarten van der Hoef wrote:
> > Every day I see multiple replies with the same suggestions just because
> > the repliers weren't able to see the latest reply. As hardware costs about null
> > these days, I wouldn't know any  other bottleneck (bandwidth, nehh ).
> > So what's the problem with this list ?
> >
> > Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with this list, just curious about it's
> > big latency.
>
> Your comment seems like it's wondering about the list server software
> and the machine on which it resides. Sure, that could be a factor.
> I don't know the specs on that, nor on the volume of this list.
>
> However, you have to consider that everyone on the list has another
> mailserver they get to deal with. So, if the listserver sends its mail
> to me and my DSL connection is down, it bounces. Try again in four
> hours. It's up? OK, it delivers. THat's 4 hours.
I have a pretty well runnning mailserver here which cannot be the reason.

> I've noticed, running just shy of a dozen lower volume lists, that often
> some of the larger providers will just stop accepting mail. "Nope, I'm
> not going to take that mail. Try later". So, my list server queues it up
> and tries again four hours later. I've had instances where providers
> refuse mail for DAYS, though it's more often just hours.
That's not the issue here.

> And then you have time zones. Funny how the people in Australia always
> seem to be so chipper when I'm so sleepy!  No, sorry, you'll have to
> wait for my reply until I'm awake.
It's not the time between replies , it's the time between I mail my post,
and when I get it back from the list.

> And I'm not sure or not, but in most list servers, you can set your self
> up for 'digest mode' because you hate the inane babble repeatedly during
> the day, so you subject yourself to it only in one big massive dose so
> it feels less painful.
Then the list feeling disappears :)

> To wonder about the list and people replying late is less a question of
> the server that's sending the mail out, as it's only ONE factor of many.
> I'd be confident that the list server is beefy enough for what it's
> being asked to do, though I could be wrong. Take yer pick as to why
> people 'reply late' to questions, but there's a lot of different answers
> as to why.
Again, I exclude the human factor here, someone posts a question , it takes
about 15 minutes for i have it in my mailbox. Mr John Doe repies on that
certain question, and 5 minutes later , I don't see any replies, so I reply
as well. Same suggestions. Ofcourse double answers are better than nothing.

> (wondering how long ago you wrote your post and how much time has
> elapsed until my reply. Perhaps I should have waited a couple days, just
> for effect ;)
Hehe, some hours now..

Regards,

Maarten