Re: MTU Issues

On Tue, 21 Jan 2003, Simon Bland wrote:

> I know it's not due to a router as I can put a machine directly on it's
> lan side and it still fragments the packets into non existance. It's
> just standard TCP traffic, web browsing mainly.

What did you mean by "frags packets out of existance"?

How are you seeing/troubleshooting this?

> The problem is I didn't set this machine up, and I'm having trouble with
> the differences between debian and BSD. The commands give me different
> information, config files are in differenct places, or not in existance,
> I can't find a /proc interface.. Maybe it's just me, but I really am
> taking a disliking to BSD after this encounter.

The /proc filesystem is not needed nor used (by default) by some BSDs.

You may be able to research your MTU settings with ifconfig, route,
netstat, sysctl, and tcpdump.

If you need BSD help, consider posting to the appropriate BSD mailing
list. You will probably receive good help if your adequately explain your
situation.

I sit at Debian Linux (and other Linux distributions) and several BSD
flavours every day. Yes, they are different. But mostly they are very
similar. If the admin understands how and why things work, they can easily
move between open source (and even proprietary) Unix systems and quickly
get up to speed.

(Is anyone interested in helping write an article comparing Debian with
NetBSD? Please let me know off-list.)

  Jeremy C. Reed
echo 'G014AE824B0-07CC?/JJFFFI?D64CB>D=3C427=>;>6HI2><J' |
tr /-_ :\ Sc-y./ | sed swxw`uname`w