Re: monitoring load average

On Tue, 7 Jan 2003 20:15, Javier wrote:
> Perhaps you can try with vmstat. It gives you the CPU idle time, so you
> can easily program an script that returns (100 - idle time). Use
> netsaint_statd plugin to return to netsaint server what your script
> returns.

Thanks for the suggestion.  However I still need to have a separate script
running vmstat as it's results are wildly inaccurate if run as "vmstat", you
need to run "vmstat 2" to get reliable results (and the first line won't be
the one you want).

I was thinking of having something like vmstat constantly running and
periodically writing it's results to a file.

Another issue is that I don't want a load spike to trigger an alert.  So I
want to have an average over say a minute "vmstat 60" (which makes it
impossible to run vmstat from the script, reading from an output file from a
daemon process is the only real option).