De: Russell Coker [mailto:russell@coker.com.au]
Enviado el: martes, 07 de enero de 2003 17:50
Para: Debian ISP
CC: csmall@debian.org
Asunto: monitoring load average

I am involved with setting up NetSaint monitoring of a medium size
network.

One problem I have is determining suitable ways of monitoring system
load.  A
machine with 100% usage of a resource by server processes will have
request
queues that grow indefinately (and performance will suck).

So the load average doesn't seem particularly useful.  If a machine has
sustained load average of 3.0 from from CPU operations and it has two
CPUs
then that indicates a problem.  If it is from disk operations and there
are
four disks in a RAID-5 array then it's equal to the number of non-parity

stripes and the load is probably at the limit of what it can handle.  If
it's
half from CPU and half from disk then it shouldn't be a problem at all.

I think that perhaps a better way would be to have one test measure on
the
amount of CPU time used (the sum of the "user" and "system" percentages
of
the CPU usage as reported by top would do - nice time doesn't matter).

Then I could have another test measure the disk utilization in terms of
the
await, svctm, or %util fields as reported by iostat.

Any suggestions?

--
http://www.coker.com.au/selinux/   My NSA Security Enhanced Linux
packages