Re: Intel Hyperthreading problem on server?

I was also considering the possibility of hardware error, but if it works
100% reliably without HT/SMP, but virtually crashes at high load with
Apache, that would pretty much rule out hardware error, unless the CPU's
HT is buggy (highly unlikely).

http://publib-b.boulder.ibm.com/Redbooks.nsf/RedbookAbstracts/tips0175.html?Open

> > My system:
> >
> > Linux tedsdesk 2.4.20 #22 SMP Mon Jul 21 14:53:07 EDT 2003 i686
> > GNU/Linux
> >
> > ted@tedsdesk:cat /proc/cpuinfo
> > processor       : 0
> > vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
> > cpu family      : 15
> > model           : 1
> > model name      : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1.50GHz
> > stepping        : 2
> > cpu MHz         : 1495.172
> > cache size      : 256 KB
> > fdiv_bug        : no
> > hlt_bug         : no
> > f00f_bug        : no
> > coma_bug        : no
> > fpu             : yes
> > fpu_exception   : yes
> > cpuid level     : 2
> > wp              : yes
> > flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
> > mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm
> > bogomips        : 2981.88
> >
> > The ht in the flags section tells me hyper threading is being
recognized.

> > On 16/12/03 23:23 +0800, Jason Lim wrote:
> > > Hi All...
> > >
> > > Do you guys know anything about a problem with Intel Hyper-threading
(eg.
> > > on the Intel 2.4Ghz HT-enabled processor) that would cause the load
> > > average to jump to over 200?
> > >
> > > Here is the log line:
> > >
> > > Dec 16 22:48:17 be watchdog[250]: loadavg 203 101 40 is higher than
the
> > > given threshold 200 150 100!
> > >
> > > (then it reboots)
> > >
> > > This happened on the 2.4.22 kernel, and now I tried it with the
2.4.23
> > > kernel, and it has the same problem.
> > >
> > > When the kernel is compiled WITHOUT SMP support, the kernel works
fine,
> > > and it can have uptimes of months without any problem. But when SMP
is
> > > compiled in, and the HT processor is correctly identified (and top
can see
> > > CPU0 and CPU1), then it only takes about an hour or two of operation
> > > before the load average jumps like that. Note that this is with
Debian

listmaster@lists.debian.org