Re: duplicating servers - remote backup to HD

On Tue, Dec 09, 2003 at 11:19:59AM +0100, Christian Hammers wrote:
>On Sat, Dec 06, 2003 at 06:23:43PM -0500, George Georgalis wrote:
>> Sure, here's what I use for taking an image of a system. If you plan
>
>> rsync -av --progress --delete-excluded --numeric-ids \
>>     --exclude=**/cdrom/* \
>
>You delete only the excluded files? What about e.g. mail spool files
>that are backuped once and then deleted on the master systen? With
>"--delete" they will be deleted on the backup host, too.

I think the current rsync implies --delete when you --delete-excluded
anyway _this_ is not optimized as a live backup, but a imager, and I
need to rebuild the mail queue anyway.

>Also, if you (or the one asking :-)) cares for bandwith, a --compress
>might be useful. And maybe --bwlimit=xxx if there's other activity on
>the net.

yeah, forgot the -z. never tried -bwlimit=xxx

>Regarding the other comment suggesting tar: We use a combination:
>rsync to gather the data on a backup host (low bandwidth) and tar (with
>-g incremental) to copy them from there to external USB hard drive
>medias.

the OP seems seems like a live, large disk, backup on slow link, where
their might not be root on the remote storage device....

I was thinking, you could put an iso on the remote device, make it
available locally via nfs, mount it on lo, and rsync to the local mount
point. might be fun to try, there must be some unanticipated pros/cons.

// George

--
GEORGE GEORGALIS, System Admin/Architect    cell: 646-331-2027    <IXOYE><
Security Services, Web, Mail,            mailto:george@galis.org