Re: duplicating servers - remote backup to HD

On Sat, Dec 06, 2003 at 06:23:43PM -0500, George Georgalis wrote:
> Sure, here's what I use for taking an image of a system. If you plan

> rsync -av --progress --delete-excluded --numeric-ids \
>     --exclude=**/cdrom/* \

You delete only the excluded files? What about e.g. mail spool files
that are backuped once and then deleted on the master systen? With
"--delete" they will be deleted on the backup host, too.

Also, if you (or the one asking :-)) cares for bandwith, a --compress
might be useful. And maybe --bwlimit=xxx if there's other activity on
the net.

Regarding the other comment suggesting tar: We use a combination:
rsync to gather the data on a backup host (low bandwidth) and tar (with
-g incremental) to copy them from there to external USB hard drive
medias.

bye,

-christian-