Re: System Hardware Tracking

Chris,

I've dreamed of a uniform system for managing and tracking system
configurations.  Agreed that configuration management is no problem with
a few systems, but grow the list to 100+, and there's many a potential
management problem brewing.

I currently use some batching scripts to distribute updated code, but
its far from a complete or ideal solution.

The lack of free time has stopped me from building or implementing
anything more complicated, but you may be interested in the following:

The Arusha project: http://ark.sourceforge.net/
Configuration management tools: http://linas.org/linux/cmvc.html
other... http://cbbrowne.com/info/linuxsysconfig.html

I'd be interested in hearing of any other OSS solutions that have client
machines updating to/from a central database with their current hardware
and software configuration.

Cheers,

--
Martin Foster                                   Phone:   +61 3 9674 7659
Systems Engineer               P A C I F I C    Fax:     +61 3 9698 4959