Re: Software for a NIC (Network Information Center)

On Mon, Dec 01, 2003 at 09:13:12AM +0100,
 Michelle Konzack <linux4michelle@freenet.de> wrote
 a message of 29 lines which said:

> There are some Contries in the World without a NIC

Not many: you just need one clerical worker to claim "We have a NIC" :-)

> Because I am working on 3rd World Projects I need to know whether
> there are LINUX Software to create a NIC.

The question has many implications. I suggest that you read first the
temporary documents in http://www.nic-generique.prd.fr/. After that,
do not hesitate to ask more specific questions. You can also call me
(+33 1 39 30 83 46).

> What Software do I need (even if I use Solaris).

* Some form of database software (from PostgreSQL to simple ASCII text
  files),
* A nameserver (nsd, BIND, whatever),
* A [optional] whois server (we provide one),
* A [optional] Web interface.

> Please note, that this Contries I am working for are not rich, and
> do not need the last Supercomputers for routing some hundreds
> Domains.

I know. You can manage even dozens of thousands of domains on a
typical PC with Debian. The ".nl" zone (almost one million of domains)
runs fine on a PC.

Can you tell which countries?

> So I need to know, which Hardware I need.

Two PC?

> I think, the full Hardware/Software can not exceed 150k US$,
> better less. (the cost does not inlude the Online-UPS)

Since it is a Debian list, I will mention only free software, of
course.