Re: Resource consumption.

HI,

Thanks Russell,

I'm pretty sure I have a cron job analysing apache logs which is
consuming too much of the system's resources.
So much is spent on Webalizer and Awstats that the web server stops
answering requests.

CPU time or IO bandwidth?

CPU time is what I meant. Sorry I should be more clear

The output of `uptime` was something like 2.2 before I manually kill the
script and all is OK again.

2.2 should not be a great problem. A machine that has a single CPU and a single hard disk probably won't be giving good performance when it's load average exceeds 2.0, but it should still work.

I thought that is the load average went about 1.0 that this was bad and mean you need
to do something to help bring the load under 1.0.

Even one process of Awstats uses heaps of CPU - over 90%.
Maybe I need to create a user account for processing Apache logs and limit
CPU consumption with 'ulimit' or something ??

Cheers
Rudi.