Re: Cat 3 cabling

On Sat, Oct 25, 2003 at 05:16:34PM -0400, George Georgalis wrote:

> so use cat3 for ethernet? can't advise it but if you have some on hand
> it may suffice; don't stretch, fold or otherwise push it, also concider
> the cost of data loss, downtime and rewiring, should you find the need
> to rewire.

As I said, cat3 is OK for 10 MBits Ethernet.  "OK" means "certified".

Depending on a host of factors (some of them you explained), it may be
able to carry 100 MBits. Some days. Others not. Believe me, it can be
a nightmare. It may work for weeks, and suddenly stop working, just
because it's now closer to some other interferring device.

I trashed all my cat3 patch cables long ago, after spending quite some
time in a mess of cables just to discover that somebody thought that a
red cat3 cable would be much prettier than a grey cat5. And we had
switched this machine from a 10 MBps port to a 100 MBps one.

--
Nicolas Bougues
Axialys Interactive