Re: Moving Sites

On Tuesday 21 October 2003 13:43, Rod Rodolico wrote:
> Stupid Question: I have about 50 web sites and a few hundred e-mail
> accounts to move to a new server. New IP address, etc... Web sites are no
> problem, but I do not want my clients to notice any problems with e-mail.
> They have IMAP available, so many of the clients store their e-mail on the
> server.
>
> Any ideas on how to move the e-mail accounts seamlessly. I have all their
> MX records pointing to one address: mail.dailydata.net.
>
> I have rsync'd all the files over, and can do it again whenever, but that
> won't work as they will be checking their mail on one machine while, I
> assume, some might be delivered to the other, older server (I was planning
> on keeping the old server up a few days in case I screw up).
>
> Guess is boils down to this. When I update the address of
> mail.dailydata.net, it can take up to 72 hours for that change to perculate
> throughout the net, so I'm assuming some places will still try to send to
> the old IP and, if I leave that box on, be delivered to it. If I turn the
> other box off, I'm assuming they will bounce.
>
> Am I creating a problem that doesn't exist?
>
> Thanks for any comments/help.
>
> Rod

Put the IP address of the old site on the new mail server when you bring down
the old one, and then change your DNS entry, wait three days, then drop the
old IP address. Alternatively, set up a redirector on the old mail server to
forward traffic to the new mail server (using 'redir' or something similar).

GPG: http://n12turbo.com/tarragon/public.key