Re: Automated solutions for a small ISP

On 15 Oct 2003, Igor Wawrzyniak wrote:
> Idea 1) Write a system which keeps the hosts information (and in
>   future   - user information) in some kind of a database (file, MySQL
>   or LDAP, probably I'll choose MySQL) and generates configuration
>   files. Advantages: easy to implement. Disadvantages: limited use.

Exactly what I do. It is very flexible and extremely reliable. Unlike
database servers, files rarely "go down". There's no point in having
small and reliable services if they are directly tied (i.e. online) to
huge applications such as database servers. Unless your configuration
files are very big (e.g. you have hundreds of thousands of customers) it
is also very fast.

Regards,

Oliver