Re: RIPE Autonomously System: Question?

On Mon, Sep 29, 2003 at 12:01:29AM +0300, kgb wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-09-28 at 23:40, Jonathan McDowell wrote:
>
> Yes and i thing that, do you know with mine architecture how traffic can
> shift my PC without problem? And with more stronger PC architecture can
> shift more traffic is that right? I mean zebra don't have problem with
> big traffic if pc architecture is good?

At some point, you hit the PC's architecture limitations, particularly
on the PCI bus. Two main problems : latency and bandwidth.

If you're talking about a few hundred Mbits, you should be ok with
fairly standard hardware.

If you're expecting full gigabit or more, it can get tricky. You
should consider specialized hardware.

Note that it has nothing to do with Zebra. The problem at stake here
is packet routing/forwarding inside the kernel, and the
kernel/hardware architecture limits. Zebra is just there to maintain
the kernel routing table by using various (in your case, probably BGP)
routing protocols.

--
Nicolas Bougues
Axialys Interactive