Re: ..fixing ext3 fs going read-only, was : Sendmail or Qmail ? ..

* russell@coker.com.au (Russell Coker) [2003.09.10 20:16]:
> On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 10:04, Arnt Karlsen wrote:
> > ..I still believe in raid-1, but, ext3fs???
> > ..how does xfs, jfs and Reiserfs compare?
>
> ReiserFS has many situations where file system corruption can make operations
> such as "find /" trigger a kernel Oops.
>
> Having a file system decide to panic the kernel because your mount options
> instructed it to (ext3) is one thing.  Having the file system driver corrupt
> random kernel memory and cause an Oops (Reiser) is another.  The ReiserFS
> team's response to such issues has not made me happy so I am removing it from
> all my machines and converting to Ext3.

Can you provide links to your discussions with the ReiserFS team?  I'm
considering using ReiserFS on some mail servers.  Please share your
experiences.

> Also you can't have a ReiserFS file system mounted read-only while fsck'ing
> it.  Which makes recovering errors on the root FS very interesting to say the
> least.

What I hate about ext3 is that it doesn't poorly handles dirs with 1000+
files.  Haven't seen if they've fixed that yet.
--
Cameron Moore
[ Smoking cures weight problems... eventually. ]