Re: On SMP, getting: Message from watchdog: The system will be rebooted because of error -3!

From: "Russell Coker" <russell@coker.com.au>
To: "Jason Lim" <maillist@jasonlim.com>; <debian-isp@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Monday, 08 September, 2003 1:26 PM
Subject: Re: On SMP, getting: Message from watchdog: The system will be
rebooted because of error -3!

> On Mon, 8 Sep 2003 15:09, Jason Lim wrote:
> > Recently got SMP working, but now keep getting:
> > Message from watchdog: The system will be rebooted because of
error -3!

> Check /var/log/daemon.log for the real reason, a transient load spike is
> likely cause.

Right... you're were right.

Sep  8 12:31:18 beta watchdog[243]: loadavg 159 63 24 is higher than the
given t
hreshold 150 140 130!

Sep  8 12:31:28 beta watchdog[243]: shutting down the system because of
error -3

I had set the loadavg to such an absurd number, I never thought it could
be that. It NEVER peaks that high on a single CPU (well... without HT SMP
on). Is this normal? Do SMP systems tend to spike a lot higher than
regular single CPU ones?

Strange thing is... the previous 2Ghz CPU... never went that high... and
now with a 2.8Ghz HyperThreading processing, the load average actually
increases (or at least the spiking load average). Is this a trait of SMP?

Never worked with SMP like this before... with such strange charateristic?
Normal?

Thanks in advance.

Jas