Re: Sendmail or Qmail ? ..

Martin,

Very good.
More food for thought and consideration.

Thanks
Regards
Rudi.

martin f krafft wrote:
also sprach Dale E Martin <dmartin@cliftonlabs.com> [2003.09.04.1447 +0200]:

Has it been covered before on this list?  I for one would be
interested in elaboration, if there is something technically
inferior about exim or postfix to qmail or sendmail?  Or
politically, I suppose, since much of people's dislike about qmail
has more to due with "political" than technical reasons.

random notes (these are facts and opinions, please don't flame me):

- sendmail and exim are both single setuid binaries. bad.
- postfix is the most performant of all four.
- qmail has an interesting but possibly confusing configuration paradigm
- postfix has the easiest configuration, IMHO.
- qmail has a good integration with one of the fastest mailing list
  servers, ezmlm.
- exim is very extensible.
- qmail does not come with anything but basic mail transfer stuff. if
  you want things like tls or sasl, you have to patch.
- qmail isn't available as a binary package for Debian.
- qmail support includes being flamed by the author
- postfix and exim support are available here, and if only be me and
  dman respectively (note that you have to mention my name in a post
  if you want me to see it. i am writing my phd and am thus
  filtering messages to not be flooded)
- ralf hildebrandt uses postfix (he's the guru, next to wietse.

can't think of any more.