postfix with SASL over PAM

I'm trying to get posfix authenticate (for relaying purposes) users with SASL via PAM on woody.

 I've installed posftix, posftix-tls, libsasl and it´s modules.

Following the READMEs, I can see that postfix does support SASL auth LOGIN and PLAIN mechanisms:

220 mybox.over.here ESMTP Postfix (Debian/GNU)
EHLO localhost
250-mybox.over.here
250-PIPELINING
250-SIZE 10240000
250-VRFY
250-ETRN
250-AUTH GSSAPI CRAM-MD5 DIGEST-MD5 LOGIN PLAIN
250-XVERP
250 8BITMIME

But when I try to authenticate with plain (base64 encoded: 'user\0user\0password'), posfix complains with :

postfix/smtpd[2134]: connect from localhost[127.0.0.1]
postfix/smtpd[2134]: PAM _pam_init_handlers: could not open /etc/pam.conf
postfix/smtpd[2134]: PAM pam_start: failed to initialize handlers
postfix/smtpd[2134]: warning: localhost[127.0.0.1]: SASL PLAIN authentication failed

I've added the following lines to my working postfix's main.cf:

smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes
smtpd_recipient_restrictions = check_relay_domains permit_mynetworks permit_sasl_authenticated

And /etc/pam.d/smtp looks like:
#%PAM-1.0
auth       required     pam_nologin.so
auth       required     pam_unix.so
auth       required     pam_env.so
account    required     pam_unix.so
session    required     pam_unix.so
session    required     pam_limits.so

 To be on the safe side, I also added the following lines to /etc/pam.conf

smtp    auth       required     pam_nologin.so
smtp    auth       required     pam_unix.so
smtp    auth       required     pam_env.so
smtp    account    required     pam_unix.so
smtp    session    required     pam_unix.so
smtp    session    required     pam_limits.so

 Both pam files are world readable.

Also, the file /etc/postfix/sasl/smtpd.conf contains:

pwcheck_method: pam

and it's perms are: 0644

  With sasl over shadow, it just warns: SASL PLAIN authentication failed.

Has anyone managed to get woody's postfix to authenticate with sasl over pam?

 Thanks in advance

 José