Re: # RE: ISP is just too fascist

On Tuesday 19 August 2003 00:45, Petrisor Eddy wrote:
> I am Marian.Petrisor@siemens.com
>
> To clarify things,
> present configuration is:
>
> MyDebianStation - (proxy server/DHCP server=ISP's Proxy) - internet
>
> the IP's are given dynamically according to the MAC address of each PC in
> the network.
>
> The IP - MAC pairing is edited by hand (I saw it myself)
>
> The ISP's workstaion is connected respecting the same schematics, but it
> has unlimited http/ftp/.... access
>
> He is planning to make a VPN between his wks and the server in order to
> protect from somebody else stealing his MAC and as a consequence his IP and
> rights to the inet.
>
> Note that anybody that doesn't have a valid MAC address isn't given an IP
> address and doesn't have access to the inet or so he says (read he = ISP).I
> don't know if this is
> true!!!

Get a different ISP. Honestly.

Anyway, the usual solution to this sort of overbearing control of your
connection (that you are paying for!!) is to put in a NAT server. This way
only one MAC address is seen by the ISP, and you can have as many machines
behind it as you like. Yes, there are ways to tell (or make best guess) on a
number of machines behind a NAT firewall, but honestly, if the guy at the ISP
is doing that, then he has far too much idle time. And if he accuses you of
that, change ISP.

Actually, just change ISP.

GPG: http://n12turbo.com/tarragon/public.key