Re: Apache log analyzer

On Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 08:33:53AM -0500, Steve Suehring wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 01:00:33PM +0300, Sami Haahtinen wrote:
> > analog
> >   The only one that doesn't have packaging or application bugs, but then
> >   again, it lacks behind on features.
>
> Can you elaborate on the features that analog is missing?

I'm not the original poster, but AFAIK Analog lacks an important feature
i.e. incremental processing. It exists in Webalizer and is a very handy
function. During log processing, Webalizer saves a temporary database
of data it had gathered, and when one runs it again, it can reuse that
database and skip processing until the first unprocessed log line
is found. It really saves a lot of processing time.

Replying to Sami: I think you've underestimated Webalizer's abilities.
Sure, it's a bit old and the development seems to have stopped,
but nevertheless it's a good program. I have no problems with Ignore
statements. I really don't understand your point about indexes --
can you elaborate on that?

Also, there is a very nice project based on Webalizer, which you didn't
mention in your original post, namely Modlogan. I have fine-tuned my
Webalizer setup for quite a long time now, so I'm unwilling to switch
to another program, but if I had to choose, I would go for Modlogan.

Marcin