sane trouble-ticket systems

Hi all.  I'm searching for a trouble-ticket system that doesn't suck.
Currently we're using RT, and IMHO it sucks.

What I want is something *quiet*.  What I want doesn't break threaded
mail reading the way RT does.  What I want leaves the headers of a
message intact, rather than sending a whole new message, with the
original headers pulled out and stuck in the body.

I've talked to a coworker about this, and what we decided would be
*really* nice is a trouble ticket system that works on the same
principle as mutt's mail threading features.  That way, the TT system
can be completely transparent, especially to the end-user (i.e. no need
to put a ticket number in the mail subject).  Even in cases where the
end-user's MUA doesn't support the In-Reply-To header, mutt can still
make intelligent decisions based on the message subject.  I think a good
TT system could work in a similar way.  Does such a system exist?

What other TT systems are worth investigating?  It doesn't need to be as
heavy as RT, which I think is overkill for our 10 person service
organization with roughly 800 users.  (Though I think the service
organization will be growing, I still think RT is heavier than it needs
to be.)

Thanks.
noah