Re: Server hacked - next...?

On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 15:00, Jason Lim wrote:
> One of our servers was hacked (woody)... badly, from what I can see. A

From the ps output it appears that the hack originated from the web server or
a CGI-BIN script it ran.

As they ran modprobe I guess they got root.  :(

The recommended method is to backup configuration files and data and reinstall
the machine from scratch.

Fighting off a hacker who is already in your machine as root is difficult.
Doing it properly is more difficult than preventing them cracking your
machine in the first place.

Best to reinstall.