From: "Russell Coker" <russell@coker.com.au>
To: "Jason Lim" <maillist@jasonlim.com>; <debian-isp@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Sunday, 29 June, 2003 1:49 PM
Subject: Re: Server hacked - next...?

On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 15:00, Jason Lim wrote:
> One of our servers was hacked (woody)... badly, from what I can see. A

>From the ps output it appears that the hack originated from the web server
or
a CGI-BIN script it ran.

As they ran modprobe I guess they got root.  :(

The recommended method is to backup configuration files and data and
reinstall
the machine from scratch.

Fighting off a hacker who is already in your machine as root is difficult.
Doing it properly is more difficult than preventing them cracking your
machine in the first place.

Best to reinstall.