Re: Is sendmail trusted-user feature broken?

Thanks for all the help I received on this. Yes,
the X-Authentication-Warning reporting abuse of the
sendmail -f switch, went away after I added the following
line to submit.mc

FEATURE(`use_ct_file')dnl

and, of course, adding the trusted username (in my case,
apache, since that's what my server is running under) to
/etc/trusted-users :)

First, make sure this (or something darn near like it) is indeed
in /etc/mail/sendmail.cf:
	Ft/etc/mail/trusted-users %[^\#]

Now, if this process actually winds up invoking sendmail binary
vs talking to port 25, you'll also need to add that FEATURE
to /etc/mail/submit.mc and remake (no restart required).

Welcome to the world of split personality sendmail :)

 I read that the trusted-user feature was entirely disabled
 in sendmail versions 8.1 through 8.6, but then was revived.
 Does that have anything to do with it?

No, and I don't recall seeing that, but 'tis been a while :)

I read it in the O'Reilly {Sendmail} book, on page 245. But
oh my gosh! I see that my edition of that book was printed in
1994! My, how time flies....

Thanks again,
| John Sigerson                                             |
| EIR News Service, Inc. E-mail: johnsig@larouchepub.com    |
| 60 Sycolin Road        Voice:  703-777-9451 x543          |
| Leesburg, VA 20175     Fax:    703-771-3099 or 771-9492   |