How to not trigger auto-responders?

Hi,

Autoresponders that I have setup before were based on procmail, they used the
FROM_DAEMON check to not send responses to lists plus as a safety measure
they'd only send one email to each sender per day.

I host a club's website that has about 5,000 members, there are mailings to
members done through the site and unfortunately the members love
autoresponders.   The site actually sends emails one-by-one to people and
there are no headers to indicate that the email essentially from a mailing
list.

I am thinking of adding a "Precedence: list" or "Precedence: bulk" header to
the emails in the hope that at least some of these autoresponders have some
smarts.  I know I can just send from an address that is aliased to /dev/null
but I'd really like the emails to continue being sent from functional email
addresses so that bounces and replies can be handled properly.

Looking at the headers from the autoresponders, some identify themselves, many
do not.  I found "Internet Mail Service", Microsoft Exchange, OSM Client, and
SMTP 32 vXXXXX.

How have you guys gotten around the autoresponder problem in the past?  Is
there hope?

--
Fraser Campbell <fraser@wehave.net>                 http://www.wehave.net/
Halton Hills, Ontario, Canada                             Debian GNU/Linux