spoofing MAC was Re: Visitor based netoworking

<quote who="Alex (LEX) Borges">

> On Wired networks its not so easy to cheat the mac address, this number
> is set uniquely for each card in the world (or so my teacher said).

It's very easy to set the MAC Address on a linux box:
ifconfig eth0 hw ether 01:00:00:00:00:01

> Anyhow, its probably not all that hard either, but i think its a good
> enough solution for controlled corporative environment where all you
> want is to apply policies per user and such.

The best thing would be to use x509 certs stored on USB tokens or smartcards

greets Uwe
--
X-Tec GmbH
Institute for Computer and Network Security