Re: Antivirus license

On Tue, Jun 10, 2003 at 09:43:36AM +0200, Tomàs Núñez Lirola wrote:
> Hi
> I want to put an antivirus on the mail server (BugBear helped me to convince
> my boss). Now is time for wondering about licenses.
>
> Kaspersky and F-Prot (two examples) have a product for a mail server. If I use
> their product for a personal use (wich license price is a 5% of the mail
> server license) with amavis, am I doing something illegal? Does the license
> permit its use with amavis?
> I need to know it for sure... so can anyone help me?
>
> However, the open alternatives (clamav, openantivirus, etc) are stable enough?
> They get updated fast enough?

We use Amavis + McAfee uvscan.

I downloaded uvscan from McAfee website (the Linux / personal
version). A few days later, a rep called me, to get feedback about my
product "evaluation".

Him: Are you satisfied with the product ?
Me: Yes, it works fairly well.
Him: Do you plan to buy it for your organisation ?
Me: Yes, sure !
Him: On how many systems do you plan to install the software.
Me: Hmm... One !
Him: Then it's just for your personal use ?
Me: No, it's for the mail serer. But we have just one (!)
Him: Hmmm... I think we have a problem, we sell this product with a
minimum 5 license pack.
Me: One would be enough, I believe.
Him: Then you should continue to use the free version you
downloaded. I understand you don't want to buy a five-pack for just
one machine.
Me: But I believe it's not possible according to the software
license.
Him: If you think so, then you have to buy the five-pack.
Me: Let's go for it.

Note: the five pack was something like 100-200 Euros, I don't
remember. Not very expensive anyway.

uvscan gets an update every few days.

--
Nicolas Bougues