Re: Selecting source ip

On Wed, 28 May 2003 23:30:20 +0200, Stefan Neufeind wrote:

> Hi,
>
> when I request a file from a linux box using lynx the source ip of my
> request is the ip of eth0. But how can I change the source ip to other
> ips which are also bound to eth0 (via eth0:0 etc.)? Do I need to change
> the default gate from eth0 to eth0:0 for example? Isn't there a way to
> just change the source ip for all programs I will execute in my current
> environment / bash without affecting other programs / tasks?
>
> Yours sincerely,
>  Stefan

Hi,
you might install the context kernel patch. It introduces several
possibilities to limit even root. This is mainly used to run several
seperated virtual servers on one physical machine. Then you need to
install the package vserver (it isn't in stable yet). Then you can use
chbind to bind an application and all child processes to one ip. See man
chbind for more details.